The Asia Floor Wage Alliance (AFWA) is an international campaign and alliance for collective industrial bargaining in the global garment industry. AFWA’s inception, in 2007, rests on the shoulders of resilient, innovative and inspiring social movements, particularly spanning the last decades of the 20th century and the beginning of the 21st century.
Read here to learn how this historic alliance came about
Our Work focuses on three main areas:
AFWA strives to ensure that all workers in global garment production networks receive a living wage for a regular working week that is sufficient to cover the basic needs of themselves and their families, including housing, food, education and healthcare.
The Asia Floor Wage calculated in PPP$, is internationally recognised as a credible and legitimate living wage benchmark for garment workers in Asia.
Gender-Based Violence and Harassment (GBVH)
AFWA believes that gender-based violence and harassment (GBVH) is corrosive to women workers’ sense of self and makes them voiceless and powerless. AFWA believes that prevention of GBVH is of critical importance through both personal transformation of women workers and building workers’ collective power.
AFWA Safe Circle Strategy is a step-by-step strategy for preventing gender-based violence perpetrated on garment production lines.
Freedom of Association (FOA)
AFWA believes that all workers should be enabled to freely and without fear, exercise their human and workers’ rights to Freedom of Association. This is an enabling right and provides the basis for negotiation and assertion of other rights.
AFWA’s position is that denial of FOA, that keeps garment workers in a state of fear, isolation and disempowerment, is endemic to the business model of fast fashion and brands’ purchasing practices.
The Members Of The International Steering Committee Of The Asia Floor Wage Alliance Are As Follows:
- Kong Athit, Coalition of Cambodian Apparel Workers’ Democratic Union (CCAWDU), Cambodia
- Sar Mora, Cambodian Alliance of Trade Unions (CATU), Cambodia
- Yang Sophorn, Cambodian Alliance of Trade Unions (CATU), Cambodia
- Tola Moeun, Centre for Alliance of Labour and Human Rights (CENTRAL), Cambodia
- Anna Bryher, Clean Clothes Campaign (CCC), Europe
- Bram Joanknecht, Clean Clothes Campaign ( CCC)
- Anannya Bhattacharjee, Garment and Allied Workers Union (GAWU), India
- Ashim Roy, Mill Mazdoor Panchayat (MMP), India
- Deepika Rao, Cividep, India
- Rukmini, Garment Labour Union (GLU), India
- Ary Joko Sulistyo, Federasi Serikat Buruh Garmen, Kerajinan, Tekstil, Kulit dan Sentra Industri ( FSB Garteks), Indonesia
- Iwan Kusmawan, Serikat Pekerja Nasional (SPN), Indonesia
- Sumiyati, Serikat Pekerja Nasional (SPN), Indonesia
- Syarif Arifin, Lembaga Informasi Perburuhan Sedane (LIPS), Indonesia
- Chamila, Dabindu Collective, Sri Lanka
- Dedduwa Kumara Lalitha Ranjanie, Textile, Garment and Clothing Workers Union (TGCWU), Sri Lanka
- Sylvester Jayakody, Ceylon Mercantile Union (CMU), Sri Lanka
- Sam Nelson, Jobs with Justice (JwJ), USA
Anannya Bhattacharjee is the International Coordinator of Asia Floor Wage Alliance and President of Garment and Allied Workers Union in North India. She has built several labour and social justice organisations and has worked in the field for over thirty years, both in India and also in the United States. Anannya has helped build grassroots labour-related collaboration between North America, Europe and Asia for well over a decade. She has written and spoken widely on social movements.
Ashim Roy is a member of the International Secretariat. He is a senior trade unionist and human rights activist in India. He is President of Mill Mazdoor Panchayat (MMP).
Wiranta Ginting is the Deputy International Coordinator for Asia Floor Wage Alliance. He has more than 10 years’ experience working in the development sector and is interested in the labor movement, indigenous people’s movements, and human rights movements. He earned his Bachelor’s in Journalism from the Faculty of Communication Science, Padjajaran University, Bandung, in 2007 and earned his Master’s in International Sustainable Development from Brandeis University, USA. He has volunteered with Sedane Labor Resource Center, Bogor and Local Initiative for Occupational Safety and Health Network, Indonesia.
Ratana Samnang is Cambodia’s Country Coordinator for Asia Floor Wage Alliance based in Phnom Penh. In 2018, he graduated from the University of Cambodia majoring in Law. As a student, he had been actively involved in various social movements.
Abiramy Sivalogananthan is Sri Lanka’s Country Coordinator based in Colombo, Sri Lanka. She earned her Bachelor’s in Asian Studies and Psychology from the Asian University for Women in Bangladesh and Master’s in Human Rights from the University of Colombo, Sri Lanka. She has assisted in relief work after the Rana Plaza disaster while being a student in Bangladesh. This experience of working with garment workers, with her passion towards ending gender-based violence has supported her work in AFWA tremendously.
Nandita Shivakumar is the South India Coordinator of Asia Floor Wage Alliance, based in Bengaluru, Karnataka. She has a Masters in Development from Azim Premji University, Bengaluru. Her broad interests pertain to labor and globalization, with a focus on labor exploitation and informality among historically marginalized groups.
Arshad Ahmed is a field researcher associated with Asia Floor Wage Alliance in North India. He did his Masters in Globalization and Labour from the Tata Institute of Social Sciences.